Chequered plates, also known as checkered plates or tread plates, are steel plates with a raised pattern on one side. This pattern usually consists of diamonds, bars, or other shapes, which provide enhanced grip and prevent slipping. Due to these characteristics, chequered plates find various industrial applications. Here are some of the common industrial uses of chequered plates:
- Flooring and Staircases: One of the primary uses of chequered plates is in flooring applications, especially in areas where slip resistance is essential. They are commonly used in industrial settings, warehouses, factories, and areas subject to high foot traffic. Additionally, chequered plates are used for stair treads to ensure safety by providing a non-slip surface.
- Vehicles and Transportation: Chequered plates are frequently used in the automotive and transportation sectors. They are used for truck beds, loading ramps, and other vehicle flooring applications. The raised pattern helps prevent cargo from sliding and provides traction during loading and unloading operations.
- Construction and Infrastructure: In the construction industry, chequered plates are used for various purposes, such as walkways, platforms, and scaffolding. Their slip-resistant properties make them suitable for elevated platforms and walkways on construction sites, bridges, and other infrastructure projects.
- Industrial Machinery and Equipment: Chequered plates are incorporated into machinery and equipment where a non-slip surface is required. They are used in manufacturing units, workshops, and industrial plants to provide safety and stability in areas where machinery operates.
- Decorative and Architectural Applications: Apart from functional uses, chequered plates are also employed for decorative and architectural purposes. They can be used as wall cladding, facade elements, and decorative panels in commercial buildings, stadiums, and public spaces, adding aesthetic appeal while serving a practical purpose.
- Storage and Shelving: In warehouses and storage facilities, chequered plates are utilised for shelving units, storage racks, and pallets. The raised pattern helps secure items placed on the shelves, preventing them from slipping or falling.
- Marine and Offshore: In marine and offshore industries, chequered plates are used for deck surfaces, gangways, and platforms on ships, oil rigs, and other marine structures. The slip-resistant surface provides safety for crew members and workers operating in challenging marine environments.
Summarising, chequered plates offer a combination of durability, strength, and slip resistance, making them suitable for a wide range of industrial applications. Whether it’s enhancing safety in high-traffic areas or providing stability to machinery and equipment, chequered plates play a crucial role across various industries.
In Guwahati, Assam, H. K. Sagar specialises in distributing chequered plate (CQ PLT) steel made with 100% Tata Steel. Following the acquisition of BSL in 2018, Tata Steel has evolved by introducing numerous brands and products under the ‘Tata Steel BSL’ banner. A standout addition has been Tata Steel’s chequered plates. Recognised as an essential item at construction sites, this product has received a warm reception from customers throughout the North-East.